Are you confusing ORGANIZING with CENTRALIZING? Centralization is putting like items together. That may be organized but it’s not always effective. And don’t we want our stuff to be more effective for us?
There are a number of things you may want to keep decentralized.
- Toilet paper – you probably already do this. I can imagine few situations more angst inducing than needing a new roll right now and opening up the cabinet in the bathroom and finding no replacements.
- Toothpaste – you keep a separate tube in each bathroom where people brush their teeth.
- Tissue – you may have one on each bedroom nightstand.
But what about non-consumables? You may also want to keep multiples of:
- Scissors – how often do you need a pair in the kitchen or laundry room but you keep them in your desk?
- Stapler – I have one in my desk but keep another in a kitchen drawer for when I have to staple papers that are going to school (e.g. check & permission slip)
- Thermometer – your first aid kit is in the mudroom but your kid gets sick in the middle of the night. You might want several (downstairs, your bathroom, kids bathroom)
Watch the short video below to see one more item I keep multiples of to save myself a little bit of hassle!